وَفِي السَّمَاءِ رِزْقُكُمْ وَمَا تُوعَدُونَ فَوَرَبِّ السَّمَاءِ وَالْأَرْضِ إِنَّهُ لَحَقٌّ مِّثْلَ مَا أَنَّكُمْ تَنطِقُونَ
And in the heaven is your provision and whatever you are promised. Then by the Lord of the heaven and earth, indeed, it is truth – just as [sure as] it is that you are speaking. (51:23-24)
- The first ayah speaks about how our provision is in the sky. However, most people are not convinced by this. In the second ayah Allah Subhanahu wa ta’la takes an oath by His lordship that it is the truth, and it is the truth just like we speak.
- What is the relationship between speaking and provision? No one can ever enunciate using another person’s tongue, even if they tried. Likewise, it is impossible for someone to take another person’s provision, no matter how much they try!
Ibn Qudamah said, “the pious predecessor loved that people should point out their errors and mistakes to them.”
“Don’t let difficulties fill you with anxiety. After all, it is only in the darkest nights that the stars shine more brilliant.” Ali ibn Talib
Sufyan at Thawree said: “In our view, a person does not have an understanding of the religion until he thinks of a hardship as a blessing, and comfort and luxury as being a hardship.”
“Verily when Allah withholds, He actually gives, because He does not withhold on account of miserliness or stinginess, but rather He considers the benefit of the servant.” – Sufyan Al-Thawri.
يَوْمَ تَرَوْنَهَا تَذْهَلُ كُلُّ مُرْضِعَةٍ عَمَّا أَرْضَعَتْ وَتَضَعُ كُلُّ ذَاتِ حَمْلٍ حَمْلَهَا وَتَرَى النَّاسَ سُكَارَىٰ وَمَا هُم بِسُكَارَىٰ وَلَٰكِنَّ عَذَابَ اللَّهِ شَدِيدٌ
On the Day you see it every nursing mother will be distracted from that [child] she was nursing, and every pregnant woman will abort her pregnancy, and you will see the people [appearing] intoxicated while they are not intoxicated; but the punishment of Allah is severe. (22:2)
- The greatest lesson that one can take from Hajj is that they will be resurrected on the Day of Judgement.
- One can see a sample of the Day of Judgement when one looks at ‘arafah.
- The first description of Day of Judgement given in this surah is that of a mother and her child.
- We know the most intimate relationship in this world is that of a mother and child, to the extent that the mother will sacrifice everything for the child.
- But the horrors of the Day of Judgement even make the mother completely forget about her child.
- Not only forget, but forget while in the state of breast feeding (the word murd’ without the ta means a mother who breastfeeds. The addition of ta implies that the child is being suckled).
Imam al-shafii said that there is an ayah in the Quran that every tyrant should be afraid of:
وَمَا كَانَ رَبُّكَ نَسِيًّا
And your Master never forgets (19:64).
Original aired on ABC Sep 8, 2009