وَإِذْ فَرَقْنَا بِكُمُ الْبَحْرَ فَأَنجَيْنَاكُمْ وَأَغْرَقْنَا آلَ فِرْعَوْنَ وَأَنتُمْ تَنظُرُونَ
And remember when We parted the sea with you and We saved you all and We drowned the system of Pharaoh while you were looking on (2:50).
- This verse mentions the greatest blessing that Allah bestowed upon the Israelite.
- The definite article implies that you know exactly what this sea is.
- Allah SWT did not say separated the ocean for you (la kum) but rather using you (bi kum).
- The latter has the additional implication that as you walked, the sea began opening right before your eyes.
- This word is different from the one used in the previous verse, which is najinakum. Anjinaa means the action was fully complete i.e. you were complete saved.
- Allah SWT did not say He drowned the Pharoah but rather the system of the Pharaoh
- If Allah SWT only did the former then another tyrant would emerge and the oppression would continue.
- This is called wa al haliya. It means while in a certain state.
- Allah SWT drowned the Pharoah while the Israelites watched. Imagine your worst enemy being destroyed right before you.
- The We is repeated to make it absolutely clear that Allah alone saved you and you were powerless.
- Lesson: All trials — no matter how cataclysmic in magnitude — will come to an end.
إن مشقة الطاعة تذهب ويبقى ثوابها وإن لذة المعاصي تذهب ويبقى عقابها
― ابن الجوزي، صيد الخاطر
Verily the difficulty of obedience will vanish and only the reward will remain, and verily the pleasure of sins will vanish and only the consequences will remain (ibn al-Jawzi).
كلمة قامت بها الأرض والسماوات ، وخُلقت لأجلها جميع المخلوقات ، وبها أَرسل الله تعالى رُسُله ، وأنزل كُتبه ، وشرع شرائعه ، ولأجلها نُصِبت الموازين ، ووُضِعت الدواوين ، وقام سوق الجنة والنار ، وبها انقسمت الخليقة إلى المؤمنين والكفار ، والأبرار والفجار ، فهي منشأ الخلق والأمر ، والثواب والعقاب ،
وهي الحق الذي خُلِقت له الخليقة ، وعنها وعن حقوقها السؤال والحساب ،
وعليها يقع الثواب والعقاب ، وعليها نُصِبت القِبْلَة ، وعليها أُسِّسَت الْمِلَّة ، ،
وهي حق الله على جميع العباد ، فهي كلمة الإسلام ، ومفتاح دار السلام ،
وعنها يُسْأل الأولون والآخرون ، فلا تزول قدما العبد بين يدي الله حتى يسأل عن مسألتين : ماذا كنتم تعبدون ؟ وماذا أجبتم المرسلين ؟ فجواب الأولى: بتحقيق لا إله إلا الله؛ معرفةً وإقراراً وعملاً، وجواب الثانية: تحقيق أن محمداً رسول الله؛ معرفةً وإقراراً وانقياداً وطاعة.
La ilaha ila Allah — there is no deity that deserves worship except Allah — is a statement by which the heavens and the Earth are established. Because of it, all creations were created. And because of it, Allah sent messengers, revealed books, ordained legislation, established the scales, and created paradise and hell-fire. And by it mankind is divided into believer and disbeliever, and righteous and rebellious. And regarding it is the questioning and the accountability. And by it is the reward and penalty. And upon it is established the qiblah and the foundations of the religion. And it is the right of Allah on all His slaves. For it is the statement of Islam, and the key to the abode of peace, and regarding it the first and the last are questioned. For a slaves feet will not move before Allah until they answers two questions: What did you worship? And What was you reply to the Prophets? And the answer to the first is la ilaha ila Allah, based on knowledge, testimony and action. And the answer to the second is that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah, based on knowledge, testimony, obedience and imitation (Ibn Qayyim).
لا يؤخر الله أمراً، إلا لخير؛
Allah does not delay a matter except for good
ولايحرمك أمراً .. إلا لخير،
He does not deprive you of a thing except for good
ولا يبكيك اليوم، إلا لخير؛
and He does not make you cry except for good
ولا ينزل عليك بلاء .. إلا لخير،
He does not send a calamity upon you, except for good
لذا لاتحزن، فكل الأمور خير
So do not be sad,every matter has good
وَآمِنُوا بِمَا أَنزَلْتُ مُصَدِّقًا لِّمَا مَعَكُمْ وَلَا تَكُونُوا أَوَّلَ كَافِرٍ بِهِ ۖ وَلَا تَشْتَرُوا بِآيَاتِي ثَمَنًا قَلِيلًا وَإِيَّايَ فَاتَّقُونِ
And believe in what I have sent down confirming that which is with you, and be not the first to disbelieve in it. And do not exchange My signs for a small price, and only fear Me. (2:41)
- The addition of small price implies that it is permissible to sell the verses if the price is really high.
- If Allah SWT said do not sell my verses, it would mean that no matter what the price is it is impermissible.
- Is it permissible to sell the verses of Allah? Of course not. How do we understand this?
- Hassan al-Basri RA said the ‘small price’ refers to this world and everything in it i.e. if a person sold the entire world for one verse it would be little compared to the hereafter.
وَذَا النُّونِ إِذ ذَّهَبَ مُغَاضِبًا فَظَنَّ أَن لَّن نَّقْدِرَ عَلَيْهِ فَنَادَىٰ فِي الظُّلُمَاتِ أَن لَّا إِلَٰهَ إِلَّا أَنتَ سُبْحَانَكَ إِنِّي كُنتُ مِنَ الظَّالِمِينَ
And remember the companion of the whale, when he went off in anger and thought that We would not decree upon him. And he called out within the darknesses, “There is no deity except You; exalted are You. Indeed, I have been of the wrongdoers.”(21:87)
- In this ayah, Allah SWT describes how Yunus AS was in an impossible situation: trapped in the belly of a whale.
- All of Yunus AS feelings, emotions, sentiments, fears, worries, and concerns are astonishingly captured in one preposition: in.
- Allah SWT did not say he called from the darknesses; instead he called from within the darknesses. What is the difference?
- The latter implies that he was completely submerged in numerous layers of darknesses, as if he was totally drowning in them, and there was not a single drop of physical light that would give him hope.
- Despite this, his only hope was calling upon Allah SWT. And he called upon Him, with a special duaa.
- Prophet SAW said no believer ever calls upon Allah SWT with the duaa of my brother Yunus, except that Allah SWT responds to him (Ahmad & authentic).