وَآمِنُوا بِمَا أَنزَلْتُ مُصَدِّقًا لِّمَا مَعَكُمْ وَلَا تَكُونُوا أَوَّلَ كَافِرٍ بِهِ ۖ وَلَا تَشْتَرُوا بِآيَاتِي ثَمَنًا قَلِيلًا وَإِيَّايَ فَاتَّقُونِ
And believe in what I have sent down confirming that which is with you, and be not the first to disbelieve in it. And do not exchange My signs for a small price, and only fear Me. (2:41)
- The addition of small price implies that it is permissible to sell the verses if the price is really high.
- If Allah SWT said do not sell my verses, it would mean that no matter what the price is it is impermissible.
- Is it permissible to sell the verses of Allah? Of course not. How do we understand this?
- Hassan al-Basri RA said the ‘small price’ refers to this world and everything in it i.e. if a person sold the entire world for one verse it would be little compared to the hereafter.
وَذَا النُّونِ إِذ ذَّهَبَ مُغَاضِبًا فَظَنَّ أَن لَّن نَّقْدِرَ عَلَيْهِ فَنَادَىٰ فِي الظُّلُمَاتِ أَن لَّا إِلَٰهَ إِلَّا أَنتَ سُبْحَانَكَ إِنِّي كُنتُ مِنَ الظَّالِمِينَ
And remember the companion of the whale, when he went off in anger and thought that We would not decree upon him. And he called out within the darknesses, “There is no deity except You; exalted are You. Indeed, I have been of the wrongdoers.”(21:87)
- In this ayah, Allah SWT describes how Yunus AS was in an impossible situation: trapped in the belly of a whale.
- All of Yunus AS feelings, emotions, sentiments, fears, worries, and concerns are astonishingly captured in one preposition: in.
- Allah SWT did not say he called from the darknesses; instead he called from within the darknesses. What is the difference?
- The latter implies that he was completely submerged in numerous layers of darknesses, as if he was totally drowning in them, and there was not a single drop of physical light that would give him hope.
- Despite this, his only hope was calling upon Allah SWT. And he called upon Him, with a special duaa.
- Prophet SAW said no believer ever calls upon Allah SWT with the duaa of my brother Yunus, except that Allah SWT responds to him (Ahmad & authentic).
قال الفضيل بن عياض :”والله ما يحلُّ لك أن تؤذي كلبا ولا خنزيرا بغير حق فكيف تؤذي مسلما ؟
Fudayl ibn ‘yaad said, “By Allah it is not permissible for you to hurt a dog or a pig, so how can you hurt a Muslim [or a non-Muslim].”
قال الفضيل بن عياض رحمه الله : وعزته لو أدخلني النار فصرت فيها ما أيست [من رحمته.
Fudayl ibn ‘yaad rahimahullah said, “by His Might, if He entered me into the fire, I would not loose hope in His Mercy.”
ربما أعطاك فمنعك
وربما منعك فأعطاك
Ahamd ibn ‘Atta Allah al-asakandri said, “Perhaps Allah gave you something but in actuality withheld, and perhaps He withheld but in reality gave.”