وَمِنَ اللَّيْلِ فَتَهَجَّدْ بِهِ نَافِلَةً لَّكَ عَسَىٰ أَن يَبْعَثَكَ رَبُّكَ مَقَامًا مَّحْمُودًا
And from part of the night, pray with it as additional worship for you. It is expected that your Lord will resurrect you to a praised station (17:79)
- Allah SWT said part of the the night and not the entire night. It shows that Allah SWT wants us to worship Him when we are energetic and focused.
- Allah SWT did not say fasalli but rather fatahajjuh — both mean prayer. The later implies that you slept and then prayed.
- What does this pronoun return to? It refers to the Quran as mentioned in the previous ayah (if it was biha it would refer to the night).
- Means voluntary and not compulsory.
- Implies that the only person who benefit is you.
- The highest station that anyone can ever have is al-Maqam al-Mahmood (which is reserved for Prophet SAW). If you can have the best of the next world through the night prayer, surely anything insignificant of this world can be achieved through it.
- Abu Ishaaq al-Sabiie RahimahuAllah said, “O the assembly of youth, exert yourself with all your energy and capitalize on your youth prior to being incapacitated [and unable to pray the night prayer].”