لَيْلَةُ الْقَدْرِ خَيْرٌ مِّنْ أَلْفِ شَهْرٍ
The Night of Decree is better than a thousand months.
- Allah SWT did not say that Night of Decree equals a thousand months; rather it is better. Hence the minimum reward is a thousand months worships and the maximum can be limitless.
- as-Shawkani RAsaid that a thousand is used by Arabs for hyperbole and the meaning in this ayah is better than all time.
- Tips for the night:
- In order to maximize the night, you need to prepare before the night begins (make sure you are ready mentally, physically and spiritually — i.e. make duaa at the time of iftaar to reach the night).
- Stay up the entire night.
- Spend the night in the Masjid (as long as you are waiting for the next prayer, the angels are making duaa for you).
- Every single second is precious. Whatever free time you have do dhikr or read Quran.
- Intention, intention, intention. Before you eat, use the washroom and if you have to sleep, make your intention that you are doing this so you can worship Allah SWT better.
- Give in charity (Allah SWT describes this night as being blessed).
- Pray taraweeh even if it is only two rakats at home (Prophet SAW said whoever prays in the Night of Decree, his past sins will be forgiven).
- Make duaa to Allah SWT even if it is only for a few min.
- If there was only one thing you could do in the night, then make sure you pray the maghrib and ishaa in congregation (the goal of the night is to come closer to Allah SWT, and nothing will bring you closer than the congregational prayer).
- For a bonus, pray the fajar in congregation, for whoever does that along with ishaa will have the reward as if he prayed the entire night standing.
Prophet SAW said “This month has come upon you and in it is a night greater than one thousand months, whoever is denied it has been denied all good, and no one is denied its good except one who is a true loser.” (Ibn Majah & authenticated by Albani)