وَلَا تَقْرَبُوا الزِّنَا ۖ إِنَّهُ كَانَ فَاحِشَةً وَسَاءَ سَبِيلًا
And do not approach unlawful intercourse. Indeed, it was ever an immorality and is evil as a way (17:32).
- When it comes to prohibitions, Allah SWT does not tell us to avoid it. Instead, to not even come close (this eliminates all avenues for committing the sin).
- This is mentioned because the Pagan Arabs would claim that adultery in private is permissible but in open it is prohibited.
- It also implies that in all previous scriptures fornication was prohibited.
- This word is related to the word for animal (Wahsh). Implication: Fornication will result in a persons behavior resembling that of animals.
- This word is derived from suoo which means harm. Thus adultery brings misfortune to the person (simply reflect over the number of sexual transmitted diseases).
- This implies that fornication is the stepping stone to other sins such as deceit, killing and disbelief (refer to the next verses and the story of Barsisa).
- Perfection of the Quran: The word despised is not mentioned here but mentioned when it comes to marrying your biological mother (4:22).