وَذَا النُّونِ إِذ ذَّهَبَ مُغَاضِبًا فَظَنَّ أَن لَّن نَّقْدِرَ عَلَيْهِ فَنَادَىٰ فِي الظُّلُمَاتِ أَن لَّا إِلَٰهَ إِلَّا أَنتَ سُبْحَانَكَ إِنِّي كُنتُ مِنَ الظَّالِمِينَ
And remember the companion of the whale, when he went off in anger and thought that We would not decree upon him. And he called out within the darknesses, “There is no deity except You; exalted are You. Indeed, I have been of the wrongdoers.”(21:87)
- In this ayah, Allah SWT describes how Yunus AS was in an impossible situation: trapped in the belly of a whale.
- All of Yunus AS feelings, emotions, sentiments, fears, worries, and concerns are astonishingly captured in one preposition: in.
- Allah SWT did not say he called from the darknesses; instead he called from within the darknesses. What is the difference?
- The latter implies that he was completely submerged in numerous layers of darknesses, as if he was totally drowning in them, and there was not a single drop of physical light that would give him hope.
- Despite this, his only hope was calling upon Allah SWT. And he called upon Him, with a special duaa.
- Prophet SAW said no believer ever calls upon Allah SWT with the duaa of my brother Yunus, except that Allah SWT responds to him (Ahmad & authentic).