هُوَ الَّذِي جَعَلَ لَكُمُ الْأَرْضَ ذَلُولًا فَامْشُوا فِي مَنَاكِبِهَا وَكُلُوا مِن رِّزْقِهِ ۖ وَإِلَيْهِ النُّشُورُ
It is He who made the earth tame for you – so walk among its slopes and eat of His provision – and to Him is the resurrection.[67:15]
- Means subservient and has the following connotations: low, easy, humble, and gentle. It is also the hyperbolized form, implying extreme submission.
- There is no need for this phrase. It is said to emphasize that it exists especially for our purpose and benefit.
- Literally means the side of something (23:74). Ibn Abbas RA said that this means its outermost borders, its roads and its regions.
- In poetry, the word is used for a camel which is extremely humble, despite its size and strength. We tend to think of the Earth as being inanimate. However, the Qur’an tells us that it is a creation just like us (84:3-5).
- What does the Earth allow? It lets us rob its treasures, build on it, and throw our waste in it. Yet, it does not rebel. Why? It has submitted to Allah, is obedient to Him, and is fulfilling its purpose (41:11).