وإذا سألك عبادي عني فإني قريب أجيب دعوة الداع إذا دعان فليستجيبوا لي وليؤمنوا بي لعلهم يرشدون
And when My slaves ask you concerning Me, then I am indeed near (to them by My Knowledge). I respond to the invocation of the supplicant whenever he calls Me. So let them respond to Me and believe in Me, so that they may be led aright.[2:186]
- There are two responses mentioned in this ayah: the first is the guaranteed response from Allah and the second is what our response should be.
- When it came to Allah responding, He said He will respond without mentioning the word seek.
- When it came to our response, Allah SWT did not only say respond, instead, seek to respond. Benefit: shows the importance of making an effort.
- Istijaba includes want and effort (الاستجابة هي الطّلب والتّحري).
- How do we respond? By making an effort to do as many good deeds, and specifically by believing.
- What does believe mean? Have conviction that your duaa will be responded.
- In this ayah, there is extensive use of the first person. Benefit: shows closeness, love, and mercy for those making duaa.
Umar ibn Abdul Aziz prayed to Allah for one entire year to show him where Shytaan is in the body, before the duaa was accepted. Reflect over what he is asking and how long he asked for! (Reference).