And We will surely test you with something of fear and hunger and a loss of wealth and lives and fruits, but give good tidings to the patient [2:155].
- In this ayah, Allah SWT tells us how all of us will be tested.
- The word used for test is balaa, which includes good and bad. Hence our entire life is a test [67:2]. When Allah SWT gives us, we are thankful, and when He withholds, we are patient.
- There are four tests mentioned: fear, hunger, wealth, and children.
- The word used to describe these tests means a little. The tests that we will go through in life are small compared to the blessings of Allah SWT– especially the blessing of Islam — and the everlasting reward of paradise. Additional info (قال القرطبي: لفظ مفرد ومعناه الجمع. وقرأ الضحاك «بأشياء» على الجمع. وقرأ الجمهور بالتوحيد؛ أي بشيء من هذا وشيء من هذا)
- What should we do? Be patient! The literal meaning of Sabar is imprisonment; it is to restrain oneself; it is inaction in the face of action.
- How should we be patient? By obeying Allah and not disobeying Him.
PS. Insh’Allah I will try to post more often. I was having trouble balancing school and studying tafsir. Alhumdullilah, Allah SWT guided me.