ذلك الكتاب لا ريبَ فيه هدى للمتقين
That is the Book about which there is no doubt, a guidance for those conscious of Allah.
- Allah SWT begins the Quran by describing it with four attributes.
- Did not say this but that. That is used for objects that are far and high. For example, you would use that — and not this — to refer to stars, as they are above us. Effect: shows the gradenur, nobility, loftiness, and status of the Quran.
- Allah SWT said the book and not a book. The Quran contains the summaries of all the previous scriptures.
- This is a special lam called لا النافية للجنس. The meaning rendered is an absolute negation; there is nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo….. way there is any doubt.
- The opposite of doubt is certainity. This book does not have the slightest doubt; rather it contains knowledge that allows one to reach the pinnacle of certainity.
- Guidance (التنوين يفيد لتعظيم). The tanween — the daaan sound — makes it colossal guidance. Stars were used by travellers to navigate and reach their destination. The ayaats of the Quran are our guidance while travelling from this world to reach paradise.