إياك نعبد وإياك نستعين
You alone we worship and You alone we seek help [from]
- The sequence of a verbal sentence is: 1- Verb + 2- Subject + 3- Object.
- In the above ayah, 3- object is brought before the 1- Verb. If the verb came first then more objects could be added: We worship God, Jesus… By making the object come before the verb, the effect is exclusivity: It is You and You alone we worship.
- The above analysis applies to the underlined text.
- Why is the object mentioned twice? This is for emphasis. Translation: It is You and only You we worship and it is especially You and You alone who we ask for help. Prophet SAW said, “Duaa is worship.” He SAW, equated worship with Duaa.
- The doer is missing. This is because we are the 2- subject. Every time we recite Surah Fatiha, we are directly conversing with Allah SWT. More Here.