By the ten nights. [89:2]
- If Al- was on the night it would be: by the ten nights. The omission of Al- makes it more than a set of ten nights. The major opinions are: the last of Ramadan and the first of Dhul Hijjah.
- This oath is connected to the end of the Surah: And enter My Paradise [89:30]. The best and the easiest time to get closer to Allah and attain paradise are these nights.
The ten days of Dhul Hijjah are unique; they contain many diverse acts of worship, in a very a short period. Some are:
- Worldly sacrifice for Hajj.
- Abundance of Dhikr, especially takbeer and tahleel; fasting for the non-pilgrims.
- Offering sacrifice and feeding the poor.
Prophet SAW said: “No days are more loved by Allah than the first ten of Dhul Hijjah. Fasting any day during it is equivalent to fasting one year and to offer late-night prayer in one of its nights is like performing it on Lailatul Qadr.”
[Al-Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah, Al-Baihaqi]
* This is a weak hadith, which cannot be used to derive legislation. One can practice weak hadith concerning virtues and reward.