Jabir RA said: Prophet SAW used to teach us to do Istikhara [means to seek Allah’s counsel] in all matters, as he used to teach us a Surah from the Qur’an. He would say, when anyone of you has an important matter to decide, let him pray two Rak’ah and then say this duaa. [Bukhari].
Procedure for Istikhara:
- Consult a few people you trust and get their advice.
- Reflect on their advice and make a decision.
- Pray two Rakats and then recite the above duaa.
- Implement your decision (it is not from the Sunnah to do Istikhara before sleeping, waiting for a dream, etc.)
What will happen:
- You are not going to see a dream in which you see white or black images.
- Most likely you will feel comfortable in executing the decision or you will have an uneasy feeling; in implementation, there might be great ease or tremendous difficulty.
Whoever seeks advice from the believers and seeks Allah’s counsel, they will feel confident about their decision.
And consult them in the affairs. Then when you have taken a decision, put your trust in Allah.