وَالْعَصْرِ إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ لَفِي خُسْرٍ
The main reasons why emphasis is used in language is to remove doubt or to add certainty. Most of mankind is in doubt regarding the importance of time. Allah SWT proves to us otherwise:
- Use of the oath (we generally say I swear I did x, when somoene doubts us).
- Harf Tawkeed — Particle of emphasis.
- Each and every single human being (no one is an exception).
- Laam of emphasis.
- Tanween on the Khusr makes it incredible loss.
- The ayah is a noun based sentence as opposed to the normal verbal sentence. Verbs are temporary and nouns are permanent.
This ayah has six levels of emphasis and it cannot get any stronger. A better translation is: I swear by time, by calling it a witness to the span of history… that there is no doubt, every single forgetful human being without an exception, is certainly, in, incredible loss upon loss.
Imam Shafii RA said, “had Allah only revealed Surah Asar it would be sufficient”.