وَلَقَدْ وَصَّيْنَا الَّذِينَ أُوتُوا الْكِتَابَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ وَإِيَّاكُمْ أَنِ اتَّقُوا اللَّهَ
And certaintly We have advised those who were given the Scripture before you and yourselves to have the Taqwa of Allah. [4:131]
- Taqwa is a metaphorical barrier that one builds to protect against the punishment of Allah. But what shield can protect us from Allah? None. Rather, we build this barrier by indulging in halal and refraining from haram. This guarantees protection from punishment.
- Summary: Taqwa is a fear that leads to action. Every night we are fearful that someone may break in. Hence we ensure that the entrance is locked (action). If we fear Allah, we would protect ourselves by only engaging in halal and avoiding haram.
Importance of Taqwa:
- Taqwa is the concise advice of Allah to all the prophets (Surah 26).
- Surah Baqarah begins with it — only the Mutaqein will attain guidance; Surah Ale-Imran ends with it
- The last ayah revealed (2:281) reminds us of Taqwa.
- Previous post and Taqwa.